Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Holiday excitement...


I haven't even thought about checking to see if I've lost 2 more lbs. during the holidays....have had no eating schedule at all what with the travel to Lisa's for Christmas, travel to Hope, AR (to take Warren & Jake to the Crater of Diamonds), and a day-trip to take Warren to Sam Rayburn House and him and Jake to Ft. Washita, OK. I've tried to be careful about what I eat when we were out. Had my first hamburger during that time....too much of a hassle for me to eat one more than a few times a year! The top bun is just too much. Headed to the bathroom, but I felt it finally go down before I got there. Ended up just pinching off the bun as I went. Tried eating a biscuit at Cracker Barrel with breakfast of egg beaters and bacon....barely made it to the bathroom before I threw it up! They are just too soft and squishy! Makes me dread having a 2nd fill! I'll have to make sure I really, really, really chew meat well. Don't have it scheduled...am thinking that end of January/early February might be the time.

My surgeon ordered bloodwork to be done before the end of the year in order to check that I'm getting enough nutrition. So on the 26th I head to my regular doctor in Denison early (since I had to fast)...they tell me that it is a lot of bloodwork and they can't even do some it (why? aren't they only drawing it out of me??)...so had to go to the plebotomist in the hospital....who also exclaimed over how much bloodwork was ordered. At this point, I'm worried....I know I'm not hydrated enough if Nurse Vampire is commenting on how much blood needs to be drawn. She puts in a "butterfly" in the left arm and proceeds to draw 4 vials. The "well" dries up before she can get a syringe in to pull out more. So she tries to get a good vein on the right....not having any luck. And then it hit me!!! Gad!! Sweating profusely, very weak.....and I told her I felt it coming. It got so bad that another nurse had to come hold me in the chair! Had to start doing the slow, deep breathing. I honestly felt like I could just slither on to the floor into a puddle! I never felt dizzy or saw spots, but I knew if I tried to stand up that I'd probably faint. I just wanted to lay down! Finally, I was able to get up and go lay down on an EKG table nearby. Nurse Vampire took advantage and stuck me on the forearm and drew 4 more vials of blood. I had to call Kari & Warren to come and get me! Nurse V. brought me a small glass of water and some nasty o.j., but I drank it anyway. I hope I don't have to do this on a regular basis....I really meant to make sure I drank enough water before bed the night before and after I got up, but in all the Christmas hustle bustle, I just didn't.

After Kari & Warren head home tomorrow, I'm going to clean out my closets of clothes that are just too big---I'll keep some just to slouch around in at home....and I have to keep at least one pair of pants for comparison purposes later.

I'm headed back to a regular schedule tomorrow when I send home all the extra food stuff with Kari & Warren.

No comments: