Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Protein

I mentioned needing to up the daily protein. I was told that hair loss is a sign that one isn't getting enough. Considering that protein is a basic for a healthy body, building muscle, blood, skin, nails, immune system, not to mention internal organs, I've got to really pay attention that I'm not "taking the easy way out" by eating low-cal things that aren't providing protein.

Of course, meats, eggs and milk provide a lot of protein. Here are some things you can eat(without having to visit some speciality store or order online) to add a significant amount of protein to your daily diet without adding very many calories:
  • Yoplait Thick & Creamy Lowfat Yogurt 7g (my fav is strawberry or strawberry/banana or crème caramel)
  • Kellog’s Special K Protein Meal Bar 10 g (I love the chocolate and peanut butter)
  • Breakstone’s 2% Milkfat Small Curd Lowfat Cottage Cheese Snack Size (4 oz. or ½ c.) 11 g (mix it with ½ c. of your fav. flavor of sugar-free jello—I like black cherry)

1 comment:

laura said...

Kim--
I love the idea of cottage cheese and sugar-free jello. I eat them both often and never thought of putting them together.

As far as protein goes, I really like AdvantEdge shakes. They have 17 grams and are tasty for a protein shake.

Enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work and best of luck on the fill.

Laura Heistand