Sunday, January 27, 2008

Procrastination is just another word for mind games

I've been asked at least four times the past 2 weeks if I'd have the lapband surgery all over again---

Yes!!

Why?
  1. It has already improved my health---I feel better, sleep better, and look better (except for the hair thing going on! but I ordered some super-duper turbo-charged vitamins that will supposedly rectify the problem. Whose idea was it anyway to "prescribe" children's Flintstones?)
  2. It has been easier than I thought it would be---I don't wake up with instantaneous thoughts about what all I am going to eat that day---because I've made a food routine for myself with food that tastes good, I'm satisfied and not hungry and can focus on other things.
  3. It has been a type of mental "surgery"---it was time to quit playing mind games with myself about "someday" I'll get serious about a diet..."someday" I'll start eating healthy..."someday" I'll lose the weight. I was out of control and had been for a very long time.

I know I don't have a family to cook for on a daily basis. Honestly, I don't think it would matter. I've made some of my foods for my family and they've loved it. Ashley was wild about a Chicken and Wild Rice soup I made and Mother liked it, too. Lisa, Lori, Mother, Kari, and Warren loved the Quick Chili I made. Kari and Warren were crazy about the Chicken with Tomato Feta Sauce. Salads always help round out a meal or steamed/roasted veggies. See? They can eat the same things I can eat!

Friday's on my way home from school has become my time to stop and get groceries. Saturdays and Sundays have become my days for getting food prepared for the next week---something to take for lunch and something to eat for supper. Sometimes I do it all in one day and sometimes I spread it out over both days. Just depends on how busy I am doing other work over the weekend. I always keep shaved turkey and ham on hand so I can take a quick half sandwich in an emergency. I've started making a little jug of Crystal Lite lemonade and keeping it in the fridge. I always have protein bars with me (except for the one time I needed it with Nurse Vampire!). I always have a bottle of water with me. Yes, more thought and effort goes in to making sure I have the right kinds of food on hand (I'm never without tomatoes or o.j., for example), but the payoff is that it keeps temptation at bay.

...and, yes, there are things I need to improve: more water daily and exercise!!!...but I'm aware and make conscious efforts such as parking further away from the front door of someplace I need to shop....filling my water bottle up immediately after I empty it when I'm at school....making sure I've got a glass of water with lime out at home...stopping and using the rubber band thing when I walk by it at home.

To those of you considering and thinking about....quit playing the mind games with yourself. Go have a consultation with a bariatric doctor/surgeon. Get the insurance paperwork started. Excuses are just a cover-up....and procrastination is just another word for mind games that you play with yourself to avoid doing what is right for you. It is a selfish thing to not make yourself as healthy as possible for your children and grandchildren.