Sunday, October 21, 2007

Conflicting info....

ok...so when I visited the surgeon this past Tuesday for my 2nd post-op visit, I thought the appt. was to get the band filled. I was wrong (despite what I was told at the last visit). It seems this is only done AFTER he asks you if you are experiencing satiety. Well, my answer was "no." For about the past week and a half, I'm not satisfied very long after a meal. It seems the fill has to be done at 6:00 AM (ugh!) at the hospital and involves drinking some liquid (please, let it taste good!!...and not be a huge amount!!) and then they watch it flow through you. A little local shot to numb the port area and another shot of saline and it's over. [For some reason they can't schedule things like that right then while you are there....you have to wait for someone to call you. Having experience that "wait for someone to call" all summer, I gave them 24 hrs...no call. So called them the next day about 10 min. before they closed and was told they had me scheduled for Nov. 6th.]

I see a nurse before each surgeon consult who weighs me, takes BP, and asks a few general questions. Now I have been weighing on Lisa's digital scale since before the surgery, so that is the one I'm going by to track weight loss. I had NOT gotten on the scales since I'd weighed myself back whenever. After my shower that morning I figured I'd better go ahead and weigh so I wouldn't have a shocking disappointment at the clinic. I couldn't believe that it said I'd lost almost 10 more lbs.!!! I was so excited! However, I did get a shock....there is a 7 lb. discrepency between Lisa's scales and the clinic scales (digital also) and not in my favor!!!! Plus they don't count the 3 lbs. I lost the week before surgery even tho they documented it (*rolling my eyes*). I'm counting it.

The nurse asks if I'm taking my vitamin daily...which I am (I was told to buy Flintstones chewable, so that is what I'm taking). She asks what I'm eating....and I tell her the protein drink for breakfast...soup for lunch...and chicken, salad, fish, or baked potato for supper. WELLL....she proceeds to tell me that the soup is a no-no!! I shouldn't be eating it because it is mostly liquid and by the time I chew up any bits, it just runs right through me. I beg to differ. I told her it is not a very liquid soup, as it is homemade and quite thick like a stew. She still insisted I quit eating soup!

Ok...after the surgeon visit, he sends me to visit with the nutritionist who asks the same questions. She quite patronizingly told me that I should be taking 4 vitamins daily instead of one, after all they are children's vitamins. I had to tell her that I'd actually read the box and it said adult dosage is one vitamin daily and that I was well aware it is marketed as a children's vitamin.
She seems to think the soup is no big deal.

She is not excited that I started working out at Curves...said it is not cardio enough...and that she'd be bored to tears if it were her, but that it is ok for me to go right now, but later I'd have to do something "harder." I told her that I seem to be able to work up a sweat and that I find that it keeps me from getting bored since we change stations every 30 seconds.

I'm hoping that I heard the doctor correctly when he said, "I have patients talk to the nutritionist on the 1st and 2nd post-op visit." I understand that it is for the patients health benefit, but....it all goes back to knowing yourself and what is working for you.

As I leave, I stop at the front desk to make an appt. for my 3rd post-op visit. She gives me a date during the last week of November. I tell her I can't that week, but make it for the following week. She hands me an appt. card with the Nov. date!! Gad!!!

1 comment:

bookworm27 said...

Man, they really want you to operate on whatever THEIR schedule is!! I'd call back and say again that you can't that week and tell them that if they won't reschedule then you won't be showing up that date! How Rude!