Friday, September 7, 2007

Listening to my body....

I'm a big believer in paying attention to what your body is telling you (this is what led me to pursue the lap band surgery in the first place).

Last night I just couldn't take going to bed and attempting to sleep while I was so uncomfortable with the indigestion/heartburn/gas thing going on. It even got so bad the first day I went to school this week that I had to undo my bra just so I could breathe!! I get cranky when I lose sleep....and this was going on my 3rd night this week. I start back to school full time next week (which is gonna be a huge change for me!)...I've got to get some sleep!!!

All this past week, it seems that everytime I have some protein soup, some yogurt, some Boost I would get the hard burps....to the point that the pressure would build up enough that I would find myself sitting up very straight...even stretching my neck a certain way...just to try to relieve some of the pressure. And if there was no relief that way, then eventually I ended up with a burning, uncomfortable pressure in my abdomen. Let me tell you....you can't concentrate very well, you don't want to eat anything....which meant I was always feeling hungry and never felt full. I've been using the Gax-X strips....can't say whether they help all that much or not. The gaseous build-up is coming out one way or the other regardless!

After doing some online research, I found it is considered "normal" to have indigestion early on....and on and on and on...sometimes for years for some people. Sometimes it is a sign of a slipped band (you can drink a nasty something for an x-ray to find out for sure).

So....time for some contemplation....what was my body trying to tell me? Feed me!!! I'm about 4 days away from going on mushy, soft foods (following the prescribed calendar of eating---which is designed to allow your body time to heal).....at 11:30 last night I opened up a can of V-8 juice...yes, the regular kind.....and had a few sips....then I got a piece of shaved turkey and nibbled on it....then a piece of wheat bread and nibbled (meaning chewed very well)....everything went down well....no pain...no throwing it up. So....I had a half glass of V-8 and a half turkey sandwich (just meat and bread).....AND....I had NO indigestion, no heartburn and I felt full....and went to bed and fell asleep. Amazing what happens when one listens to ones body!

Just because my body says something different than what the doctor/nutritionist recommends doesn't mean it's wrong....it's just right for me.

No comments: