Thursday, September 13, 2007

Be prepared...

I'll admit it....I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was. Oh, I think I was mentally prepared to make changes. I haven't had any cravings for sweets and snacks. I made as many physical preparations as I could--cleaning out fridge and cabinets, restocking with immediate need items.

However, I wasn't prepared for the things I didn't know about.
  • I didn't know that I would be as sore as I was for as long as I was. Even now, if I sit too long, my waist area begins to ache and feel sore as if I had on pants that were way too tight--even tho I don't.
  • I wasn't prepared for the waves of nausea that would hit me during the day this past week at school...and having dry heaves over the trashcan. Today is the first day I didn't experience any of this! I felt very down and frustrated yesterday, because this doesn't happen at home. The a/c isn't working in the library, but I have turned on box fans to help. I've left school every day between 1:30 and 2:00 after I've finished seeing classes for the day because I've just felt so drained....and still had a 45 min. drive home.
  • I didn't know about the hard burps that I would have after drinking liquids. I get really thirsty sometimes and find myself not wanting to drink anything because I hate having those hard burps! I have no idea if this will go away or be a constant. Everything I read on the message boards isn't very encouraging in that area. Many people even years later still deal with the air/gas problem.
  • I didn't have any idea that wearing a bra longer than 3-4 hrs. would just feel like torture!

It has been 3 weeks today. I'm probably wanting to heal faster than my 50 year old body wants to heal. I'm wanting to move around more and faster at school than I physically feel like doing. Patience was not a virtue I was born with, unfortunately.

To help myself out, I've learned to:

  • Always travel with a wet washcloth in a ziploc bag in case of nausea.
  • Always have a sleeve of crackers (wheat for me) to nibble on.
  • Always carry a bottle of water in my purse. I've got 2 flats of bottle water in my office at school.
  • Always carry a bag of food---pudding, crackers, protein drink, v-8, string cheese, yogurt.

I'm very happy to be down 24 lbs.....but it really has leveled off the last week. I don't think I've lost any during that time. I understand the it comes off much more slowly for the lapbander than for the bypass people. I'm ready for the energy level to increase so I feel like being out walking for longer distances and even re-joining Curves within the next month.

2 comments:

Natalie Weaver said...

I'm so happy you're keeping a detailed 'journal' of what you are experiencing. I hope that you will compile all of these thoughts onto a link that others who are considering surgery will be able to read. Just for all the little things you've discovered that you didn't read in a pamphlet or hear about from the doctor. Most of all, we're all so proud of you for hanging in there, even when you feel like stripping off your bra and burping all day. This will all be worth it this time next year!!!xoxo

bookworm27 said...

Get walking too! You should start, just with a short distance every day to build up to going to Curves. Even if you just walk to the end of the street and back!