Saturday, September 29, 2007

Damn scales!

Ok...I couldn't stand it any longer...I'm feeling noticeably less "round" today. My arms feel closer to my sides. There seems to be a lot of fat gone from just under the most prominent part of my chest. My abdomen feels smaller. My arms are smaller. My capris are looser and I felt excited all day about losing weight and making progress...I decided I just had to see how much more I'd lost....it felt like at least a few pounds, but not more than 5.....so I got on the scales just now and it says I've gained 1.5 lbs!!!! I think the scales lie...damn scales! ...and yes, I took my clothes off (except for undies)!

And I'd just finished making some of the guilt-free bean dip and the Mexican meatball soup. I'd just gotten everything out to make some Mediterranean tuna salad and checked to make sure I had everything to make the baked tilapia tomorrow.

And Kari had just sent me a new soup recipe to try that freezes well. Well, at least I can say I'm eating much healthier, feeling and sleeping much better, moving with much more energy, feeling much more alert (did I have fat in my brain, too??), and clearer looking skin....and can wear some of the clothes I was wearing 1-2 yrs. ago.

White Bean & Turkey Chipotle Chili

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 lg. onion, chopped
1 garlic clover, chopped
16 oz. fat-free chicken broth
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. chili powder, chipotle variety (this is something I might leave out)
15 oz. can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 T. fresh lime juice
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Spray skillet with cooking spray or use 1 T. olive oil. Cook turkey, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned, about 10 minutes; drain off any fat.

Add turkey mixture and remaining ingredients to a large pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Note: Recipe can easily be doubled. Hmmm...I might add a can of diced tomatoes to this.



Mediterranean Tuna Salad (85 calories--makes 2 1/2 c.)

2 6 oz. pouches albacore tuna
2 T. low-fat mayo
juice of 1 lemon, about 2 T.
2 T. drained and finely chopped roasted red peppers
10 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped (I think I'm going to substitute capers or black olives)
2 T. finely chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste

Empty tuna into small bowl and mash with a fork until very finely flaked. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine, adding a little water or chicken broth to further moisten if necessary.

3 comments:

bookworm27 said...

Was your scale zero-ed? or is it digital?

That's why I got rid of the last one I had, because it wouldn't stay centered on the zero. Therefore, not as accurate. ;)

Rachel said...

keep it up, Kim!!
you're so inspirational. i haven't gotten on the scales since john was born. i'd just rather not know. it's great to see you on our blog :)

Kristi said...

Just to let you know I've been keeping up with your blog. :) I've been trying to lose some weight and I plan on trying the recipes.

We have GOT to get together soon. It's been forever!!!