Sunday, March 30, 2008

A new twist on three bean salad...

We've already had at least one day of 80+ weather and it's making me sweat just thinking about summer arriving! So I'm on the lookout for new recipes that I'll enjoy when the weather is warm...ok, HOT....ran across this which was featured on an MSN spotlight.

Three Bean Salad with Blue Cheese

Makes: 4-6 servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup sherry vinegar (I'll use basalmic vinegar)
1/4 cup top-quality extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) package frozen green beans, blanched and cut into thirds
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (I'll probably use a can of wax beans...I don't really care for garbanzo, unless it is hummus!)
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8-ounce) can hearts of palm, sliced (if you like artichokes, you'll like these!)
1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced (I'll probably use some green onion or a sweet onion--and not a whole one---just enough to give some flavor)
4 fresh mint leaves, cut into strips (I can pick my own from my little herb garden! But if I don't have any growing, it is something I can leave out)
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (this might be optional--in other words, if you don't have it on hand)
1 cup crumbled blue cheese (feta might be a good cheese to use also)
3 to 4 bacon slices, cooked until crunchy and sliced (you can substitute cubed ham or shredded chicken)

DIRECTIONS: In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar and oil. Whisk to dissolve the sugar; season with salt and pepper. Add the green beans, chickpeas and kidney beans to the bowl with the vinegar. Add the hearts of palm, red onion and mint. Season again with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer the salad to a serving platter.Sprinkle the top of the salad with lemon zest, cheese and bacon. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

This is a dish that travels well and holds up, so could take to church, school, or reunions as a side dish. If you want to add a bit of color to it, you could throw in some thinly sliced baby yellow squash and tiny tomatoes.

No comments: