Thursday, April 3, 2008

Leopard print covers a multitude of sins...


Within 15 minutes after arriving at school, I had received comments from at least 4 people "You can really tell you are losing weight!" "You are looking fine, Ms. Fine" "You are really looking skinny!" "You are looking good!"

I wore a pair of black jersey pants (that I hadn't worn in about 3 years) along with a leopard print t-shirt (that I hadn't worn in about 4 years--) with a pair of black sequined sandal slides. That last roll around my waist is starting to shrink....and even though the leopard print was a bit form-fitting, with all those spots you can't even tell if there is a roll or not! lol It is my Librarian in Leopard Print Look---a walk on the wild side! Seriously, at an AASL conference (in KC?), three of us dressed this way for a presentation! We were memorable! LOL

I actually "dressed up" that day because there was an intern workshop (what we used to call "student teachers") held in the library with staff from A & M Commerce directing the workshop. Well, all those comments made me just prance around like I was something and after listening to the first professor directing the interns about making lesson plans and gathering materials and starting to build their "bag of tricks," I felt compelled to tell her (in a professional manner, of course!) that I wish she'd also encourage them to start thinking about how to integrate technology in to their lessons and start making ppts, bookmarking websites, etc. Naturally, she thought that was a marvelous idea! (Esther & Kari are rolling their eyes at this point, aren't you?) I printed the homepage I've created for Carver and a research guide that I'd put together for a 3rd grade bi-lingual class that was researching animals and pointed out to her that she really needed to encourage the interns to make friends with the librarian and ask questions about finding materials in the library as well as online. And then, I asked her if she had a memory stick with her and she did, so I loaded some of the ppts I've made (hey, making GOOD ppts takes talent!) and told her to share with them. Later the interns were discussing where to buy books on the cheap, so I asked if anyone had ever been to a Scholastic Warehouse sale--none had, so I quickly put together a 1 pg. document that had the info for all the warehouse sales within driving distance. Needless to say, the information that I kept interjecting was gratefully received and I was properly thanked by college staff and interns at the end of the day. For those of you who know me well, you know that I was mentally wearing my tiara! LOL

My point in telling this story is this: Last year when they held this same workshop, I never said a word. Now I know you will find this next statement shocking (unless you were shocked that I didn't say a word!), but....I was just too fat to want to participate. Those compliments at the beginning of the day was like throwing oil on the fire! lol With the combination of my Clinque Bamboo Lipstick and leopard print, I was quite the showout! lol Truthfully, I stepped in to the Edison role I played for so many years with Esther---with our natural give and take when doing team teaching/training. It felt so good to be able to do that and do it with confidence knowing that all that leopard print was covering a multitude of sins....shrinking sins that is!

1 comment:

EKE said...

The word "leopard" jumped right out at me, and I instantly remembered three of us dressed in black and spots... how special we felt! Kim, I'm proud of you -- you have so much to share. I'm glad that you spoke up and that it was received so enthusiastically. Just think -- if you had not spoken, they might never have even thought about these important issues! Oh, and yes, I did roll my eyes!