Sunday, November 18, 2007

The bigger they are, the harder they fall...

Last night when leaving Lynn's to go home, I walked through her garage in the dark to my car. My left foot stepped on the little ledge between the garage and the carport. I immediately felt it give way, but before I could even shift my weight, I heard a snap or pop and because I was already in the act of moving to my right leg, I pitched forward on to my right knee....and landed hard on it, breaking the rest of the fall with both hands. Immediately, I knew that I had the most severe strain...and it hurt!!!....so much that I was just stunned with pain and couldn't even move as I lay on my stomach. I rolled on to my back and lifted my left leg to see how much movement I had in it and saw a large swelling on the outside ankle. It took a while before I could even contemplate getting up, because the right knee had taken such a bang on the concrete that it was painful also. I was right in front of the car, so I rolled over to it and was able to get some leverage to get up and get in the car....however, once in the car, I was shaking a lot and my teeth were chattering like a wind-up toy! I drove home and manage to get in the house....get a bag of frozen okra out of the freezer, lay down on the couch and get my foot elevated. I tried to call Kari & Warren, but no answer, so called Lori who told me the RIE treatment---rest, ice, elevation--and take ibuprofen. I called Lynn and told her what happened and had her call Ashley to bring me a bag of ice. Ashley was worried about me when she saw me and volunteered to spend the night with me and take care of me. She is such a good niece!!!

Needless to say, this is just beyond bothersome to me! I had a list of things to get done before I went to Lisa's on Tuesday and now I can't get them all done....and now Lisa is sick with some sinus/cough thing, so she is going to the doctor tomorrow....and my aunt Wilma is not doing well and Mother needs to go visit her this week.....please remember all my Smith cousins during this time....they are a special bunch and they've been blessed with a wonderful mother (my aunt Wilma) who is probably not long for this earthly world. My ankle just isn't all that important anymore.

2 comments:

Natalie Weaver said...

Awwww- precious, I'm so sorry about your fall! Feel better soon- love you, xoxo

bookworm27 said...

Sorry, we were already a-bed! Warren went to sleep that night at like 9:30! :( He thinks that if it's not feeling better you might need to go get it checked on...x-rayed or something.