Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fix it and forget it----lightly....


Mother gave me a new cookbook for Christmas titled "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker" by Phyllis Pellman Good. You've seen them in Target and Wal-mart. While this is advertised as a slow cooker cookbook, you can certainly make any of these without a slow cooker. I usually prepare my stuff the night before by putting most of it in the crock and then in the fridge so that I can quickly get it going the next morning before I leave.

I manage a healthier consumption of food so much better if I have previously prepared food, so I requested this cookbook hoping that it will help me through the rest of the school year. While I certainly don't come home as exhausted (mainly from DRIVING so far!!) as I have the past 2 years, I often come home hungrier because I've eaten very little throughout the day. In fact, it got to the point about 2 months ago that I had to lock the library doors and turn out the lights just so I could eat lunch!

I've marked several recipes to try during the next few weeks and bought ingredients today. I'm looking for recipes that are under 200-210 calories per serving.


Hamburger Soup
makes 6 servings
160 calories per serving

1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. seasoned salt (I didn't have any--so just used sea salt)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
3 c. hot water
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 T. low-sodium soy sauce
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 c. celery, sliced
[I also added 1/2 of a zucchini, sliced and quartered)

1 c. macaroni, cooked (I don't have any, so am going to use some pesto-filled mezzaluna)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese (I decided to leave this out and throw in a slice of American cheese)

Combine all ingredients except macaroni and cheese in slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Turn to high. Add macaroni and cheese.
Cook for another 15-20 minutes.

Postscript: This soup turned out delicious! Great flavor and very filling without feeling heavy. I think this is a soup that would appeal to kids because of the flavor---and a good way to sneak in more veggies.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

phyllis pellman good goes to our church! :) another great mennonite cookbook is "simply in season" which uses local, in-season ingredients. lots of great options. not all low-fat but many are very healthy and easy.