Saturday, January 10, 2009

Extreme weather...calls for more soup!


Ok..so our extreme weather isn't in the same category as Alaska where it is -50 something in Fairbanks (and it can get over 90+ there in the summer), but with the weekly 30-40+ temperature differences we've been having a person has to have access to summer and winter wardrobes. I find it rather annoying. Yesterday it was 72. Right now it is 36....and I just want to stay cozy in bed and read and surf the internet and eat soup.

I'm going to fix something I've never had before...ratatouille. What is it? It is an eggplant-based vegetable soup which roughly translates from the French as a stirable chunky stew.

Slow-cooker Ratatouille

makes 6 servings
120 calories per serving

1 T. olive oil
1 lg. onion, chopped
6 lg. garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 medium-sized eggplant, cubed
2 c. mushrooms, thickly sliced
4 tomatoes, cubed
1 c. low-sodium tomato puree
1/4 c. dry red wine, or wine vinegar
1 T. lemon juice
2 t. dried thyme
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 - 1 t. salt
1/4 - 1/2 t. black pepper
4. T. minced fresh basil (or 1 rounded T. dried basil)
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped


Turn slow cooker on high for 2 minutes.

Pour oil into slow cooker and add remaining ingredients except parsley and fresh basil. [Note: If using dried basil, add it now.]

Cover. Cook on high for 2 hours, and then on low 4-5 hours.

Stir in fresh basil (unless you used the dry). Sprinkle with parsley.

Delicious served over wheat pasta or brown rice. Can also use it as a pizza topping.
[Notes: I think I'll roast the peppers first--I like a smoky flavor. If I don't have the wine vinegar, I'll just substitute chicken or vegetable stock. I have some leftover grilled chicken breasts--I'll bet this would be delicious served together!]

Sounds delicious, yes?

1 comment:

Natalie Weaver said...

Oooooh, this sounds good...

p.s. Have you seen the movie Ratouille? (sp?) Awww, its so cute! Loved it!