Saturday, August 25, 2007

60 grams of protein a day

It's been 48 hours since surgery. Despite my good intentions to not do anything which might cause me to throw up, I've had dry heaves twice. I've been told this was probably due to anethesia. With 5 incisions and absolutely nothing on my stomach, it was very painful.

Lisa stepped into the role of being such a good nurse that I don't even want to go home! She's figured out all the math of how I'm going to get down 60 grams of protein a day in a liquid form, made me do the breathing thing (which I hate doing since I'm so sore!), and has made several lists of things I need and sent Lori on at least three errands today.

Lori took my car and got it serviced and oil changed...thank goodness! The radiator needed flushed, the brake fluid needed replacing, etc. Not that this was a cheap errand, but I just had not had time to get it done in the past 2 weeks.

Lisa finally figured out that mixing up a scoop of 20 gram protein powder in 6 oz. of water would mean that I had 18 oz. to get down during the day. I've had Sonic ice, some jello, 1/2 of a popsicle, some Boost, Crystal Lite, V-8 Splash....and so far I've only had about 15 oz. of fluide today....and about 15 grams of protein. I think I'll end up being a bit short today of the recommended daily requirements. It has taken us all day to get it all figured out. Basically, I've got to get the protein down first....and then can enjoy having all the other stuff as I feel like it. I need to have a total of 64 fluid oz. a day. We'll start over tomorrow and see if we can manage better. All this number crunching, scheduling, etc. is right down Lisa's alley....so I'm pretty much at her mercy right now.

Lori is going to get Mother tomorrow to bring her down for the week. There is just no way I can go back to school this week. I can't even put underwear on! Can't drive while taking the Tylenol3. So who know...I may be off for 2 weeks...hoping for just 1 week, but we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

bookworm27 said...

I'm so glad you decided to stay at her house! I'm sure she is enjoying the role of "Dr." instead of "patient"!! lol...also it's nice that you are staying in town in case you needed to go to hospital for whatever reason. Glad Gram is down to boss you around some too. ;)