Saturday, September 11, 2010

Will Rogers Chili


This is a good, low-fat chili without an overpowering chili powder flavor--just the way I like it!

1 T. olive oil
1-2 onions, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 fresh jalapenos, cored, seeded, chopped
4 lbs. (yes, 4 lbs!) ground beef (I get the leanest possible or you can use ground turkey)
2 t. cumin
1 -2 T. chili powder (I used Chipotle chili powder--I like that smoky flavor)
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained (or you can use 1 can of crushed and 1 of diced)
4 c. hot water
salt to taste

options: add some fresh chopped cilantro and pinto beans

Saute onions, garlic, and jalapenos in oil over medium heat until tender, about 8 min. Do NOT brown or caramelize.

Add meat and saute until lightly colored (I only add half and cook the other half in a large skillet at the same time...much easier). Drain off excess fat. (You shouldn't have much, if any, using low-fat meat).

Add seasonings, tomatoes, and hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, simmer 1 hour.

Serve with: grated cheese, sour cream, guacamole, picante sauce, crackers, cornbread, or corn chips. Ok...maybe it's not really low-fat chili if you add all this!!

I did not add beans the first time I made this....it served 7 of us and we ate at least half of it if not a bit more.

No comments: